Period: 2014 ~ 2017
Grant: Korean Research Foundation
Partner: Hanyang Medical Center (Neurology)
Questionnaires or computer-based tests for assessing activities of daily living are well-known approaches to screen for mild cognitive impairment (MCI). However, questionnaires are subjective and computerized tests only collect simple performance data with conventional input devices such as a mouse and keyboard. This project explored the validity and discriminative power of a virtual daily living test as a new diagnostic approach to assess MCI.
- Reviewed existing measures for early dementia screening
- Built 3D CAVE (Cave Automatic Virtual Environment) system to assess activities of daily living
- Identified key kinematic markers that characterize the early onset of dementia
- Tools: Immersive virtual reality, kinematic analysis and visualization, classification of early dementia
- Seo, K., Lee, A., Kim, J., Choi, H., & Ryu, H. (2018). Measuring the Kinematics of Daily Living Movements with Motion Capture Systems in Virtual Reality. Journal of Visualized Experiments, (134), e57284.
- Seo, K., Jun, D. W., Kim, J. K., & Ryu, H. (2017). Multi-Sensory Integration Impairment in Patients with Minimal Hepatic Encephalopathy. Scientific Reports, 7(1), 14947.
- Seo, K., Kim, J. K., Oh, D. H., Ryu, H., & Choi, H. (2017). Virtual Daily Living Test to Screen for Mild Cognitive Impairment using Kinematic Movement Analysis. PloS one, 12(7), e0181883.
- Seo, K., & Ryu, H. (2018, April). Nothing is More Revealing than Body Movement: Measuring the Movement Kinematics in VR to Screen Dementia. In Proceedings of the Asian HCI Symposium’18 on Emerging Research Collection (pp. 21-24). ACM.
- Seo, K., Han, G., Lee, H., Ryu, H., & Kim, J. (2015). Design Requirements for PT-tv (Play Therapy with TV): An Observational Study on Play Therapy and TV Viewing. In Proceedings of the ACM International Conference on Interactive Experiences for TV and Online Video (pp. 137-142). ACM.
- Newspaper Article (2017). Diagnose the possibility of dementia with VR technology. Dong-A Ilbo.
- News Broadcast (2017). Accurate Diagnosis with virtual reality: Advanced technology for the elderly. Channel A.
- News Broadcast (2017). Development of early screening technology for dementia using VR. YTN Science.